Monday, January 19, 2009

102 and counting....

My grandfather just turned 102! He's transitioning into a consultant for Texas A&M after a career highlighted by the creation of over 500 roses and numerous awards from all over the world recognizing his contribution to his field. "His legacy is best understood when one considers that virtually all miniature roses ever created or grown have Ralph Moore's miniature roses in their genetic background – and that will never change". -Excerpt from the San Diego Union Tribune 1/14/07
Go Grandpa! You've always been such a great inspiration to me.
learn more here
Ralph Moore talking with my brother Dave.

1 comment:

Lee Ekland said...

Dear Kevin and Jessica,

When I was a teenager in the seventies, my brother, sister and I had to leave home due to unfortunate circumstances. I left when I was 14, was working and in college by age 17 and went on to get my BFA in Illustration.

For my first solo vacation I chose to drive from the Los Angeles area to Visalia to visit your grandfather. I had developed a fondness for unusual plants, miniature roses in particular. I had been reading about your grandfather and became fascinated with the force of his imagination and his enduring commitment to create new roses. I wanted to meet him.

I will never forget the time I spent with him. As with many other visitors to his nursery he gave me a tour, spoke at length about his latest crosses and invited me to work there during the summer months helping with the pollination program. I quickly learned that Ralph Moore was spellbound with the Creator's plan to plant DNA molecules within living things. By Celestial Decree, man was meant to discover these building blocks, to ponder what might be, to build a better rose, a better potato, a better, more beautiful life. He was delightfully up to the challenge.

I could not stay there to work, I had commitments to return to and a different creative focus. I'm writing to tell you that something of your grandfather has stayed with me all these years. Ralph Moore's gentle kindness was medicine to me during dark days. He influenced me to work hard without becoming hardened. He inspired me to become more expressive about what excites me. When I'm struggling with failures in my work I often think of the patience he had with his failure rate.

His kindness and creative genius touched me deeply.

You are fortunate.
Many blessings to you and your family,
Lee Ekland

PS: I found your blog via the Google automated web search function. I have one set for Ralph Moore